Friday, March 17, 2017

GAPS Day 19: First "night out"



Well, it wasn't really out out - I wasn't at a restaurant or something - but I wasn't at home. I spent the night and half of the next day at a friend's (F's) place. He's going through some hard times and needed a friend. I stopped by the grocery store to pick up some supplies first. Here's what I got:
Onions
Lemons
Avocados
Eggs
Grapefruits (I am obsessed!)
Fuji apples
A half a kabocha squash
A bag of frozen kale
Honey
I also brought a package of ground beef from home - F is an ethical vegan, but his concern isn't to not kill any animals but to never eat any animal that has suffered. His definition of suffering isn't simply being killed, but living a full and happy life before being killed. He grew up on a farm (in Italy; he's Italian) so he doesn't really have romantic ideas about animal husbandry, but as a spiritual person he's become more and  more uncomfortable with the way animals are treated in modern agribusiness (which is horrific - please get your meat from ethical farmers if you can!) The upshot is, he won't go out of his way to eat animals but he will eat animals if they've been humanely treated and other people bring it.

I made a simple sautéed dish with the beef, onions, and kale while I baked the squash and mashed it up with honey and some of F's coconut oil, with peeled/sliced apple on the side. F raaaaved about dinner, but he always does. It's always really gratifying to cook for him because he's so enthusiastic about everything I make lol!

It wasn't GAPS intro - the sautéing, and lack of bone broth - but it was GAPS. That's what mattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment