Tuesday, March 28, 2017

AIP: A new beginning



Welp, I'm fully on AIP now. Unfortunately I was too busy with things to write it all up but I spent the weekend at home purposefully transitioning from GAPS to AIP... and by "transitioning" I mean stuffing my face with all the AIP friendly starch I could get my hands on! My body felt soooooo hungry for starch! I must have eaten 5 plantains by myself, lol (largely in the form of plantain chips, which isn't great but it is what it is.)

I have been making sure to start my days with plenty of probiotics. I start off with one Prescript Assist soil based organism capsule, one capsule of saccharomyces boulardii, and two of your run of the mill probiotics (I have so many in my freezer from my various stints of trying to get my gut balanced). Drink them all down with a glass of water with a tablespoon of Inner Eco coconut water probiotic and a smidge of Jarrow inulin FOS (I'm starting with a tiny amount and working my way up - I've experienced starting too much too soon and it is NOT FUN.) I've also started making breakfast smoothies again but with more limited ingredients than usual. I used to make them with whey powder but that's out on AIP. I did include egg yolks but I'm going to need to end that... as soon as I use up my eggs! The two recipes I alternate between are as follows:
Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Banana
Frozen strawberries
Coconut butter
Gelatin (in the green container)
Egg yolk

Chocolate Smoothie
Banana
Frozen blueberries (not too much!)
Frozen spinach (not too much!)
Carob powder
Coconut butter
Gelatin
Egg yolk
I think I'm going to stop drinking these for breakfast and have them for dessert instead - they are too delicious! Plus, that's way too much sugar to have as a "meal".

On the plus side, my feet and knees are already feeling better! As is my mood! Fingers crossed that it lasts. On the negative side, my guts are SO FREAKING LOUD. They've been grumbly and gassy all goddam day! Hopefully they'll settle down as the bacteria reach a new equilibrium. I may leave out the inulin/FOS for a week or so.

So that's it for my GAPS experience! Thank you GAPS, you taught me a lot about myself!


------------------------------


Breakfast: strawberry banana smoothie

Lunch (I was STARVING!): Korean short ribs, sweet potato, green salad, apple

Dinner: The last of my AIP nachos; AIP Mexican ground beef, fancy AIP guacamole (normally I make a very simple guac with just salt, lime juice, and garlic powder but since I'm doing AIP I decided to fancy it up), lettuce, and plantain chips
AIP Mexican Ground Beef
Sautee ground beef and onions
Add (fresh!) oregano and salt to taste

AIP Fancy Guacamole
Avocado
Lemon (or lime) juice
Cucumber, diced small
Fresh cilantro
Fresh pressed garlic
Green onion
Salt
The Korean ribs recipe was based on this recipe by The Paleo Mom. As usual I just eyeballed it - mixed up a mess of coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, honey, lemon juice, garlic, ginger and some salt -  and tossed the ribs in the mixture. Cooked in a low oven (300 degrees) for about 4 hours. They were delicious but totally dried out; next time I will cover with foil until the last half hour and see how that works. Maybe put them under the broiler to get some nice crispy bits going. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment